welcome to yu's blog

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Why students lose interest in English? (My idea)

Why so many students lose interest in English? I think "motivation" is important for this problem. I could know that there are two motivations that are intrinsic motivation and extrinsic motivation from some books. Then I think there are some conections between losing interests and motivations. I think if there is no motivation, a student lose interests in English. So, I think there are some cases when students lose motivation in English class. When junior high school students( first grade) start learning English in junior high school, many students would have some freshness in English class. This phenomenon is related to instric motivation. But, as the days and months pass, some students might lose their freshness in English. I think this is a first case when student lose interests in English.
Another factor of students having no interest in English also happens in early junior high school. It would be happen in a first time when students meet English. In short, I think some students would not have any stimulus in English when they meet English. If there are no stimula in English, the student would not have any interests in English. This is second cases that I think. So, I think it's also important for teacher how to introduce new English to the students. I think if teacher can introduce well, student will be given a lot of stimulus and motivations for English. I also think the way of teaching English is also important. I think monotonous class or the class that ignor the level of students would lose students' interest. Actually, when I went to teaching practice in junior high school, a monotonous class that only focused on textbook was not good for students. Anyway, teacher also should devise the way of teachinig English class for students.
Lastly, I think it's also important the continuance that stimulate the intellectual curiosity for students. It's important for students to get something discovery or surprise.

5 Comments:

  • At 11:19 AM, Blogger JH said…

    YuS,
    What an interesting post! I am really looking forward to seeing how you paper develops.

    About your post, I would like you to clarify the following:

    1) Your wrote:
    "But, as the days and months pass, some students might lose their freshness in English. I think this is a first case when student lose interests in English."
    What causes students to lose interest, time?

    2) You wrote that monotonous classes cause students to lose interest in English. Can you give an example of a montonous class you took?

    3) Lastly, you wrote:
    I think if teacher can introduce well, student will be given a lot of stimulus and motivations for English.
    Can you give us an example to show us what you mean?

    I am looking forward to reading your reply.

     
  • At 4:26 PM, Blogger Eri said…

    YuS,
    I read your blog.
    I think when students lose thier interests, the reason is that they feel learning English is one of subjects. And I think that it is important to make atomosphere and motivatins to enjoy English not as a subject. There may be not many students who love students. For them, learning is hard and they may think learning foreign language is harder,or it's impossible. I want students to know that learning English is only to get English grammars.

    English is interesting, because it is not Japanese. I hope that students can enjoy learning about English and coming to know about Foreign countries.

     
  • At 10:37 PM, Blogger AJ said…

    Motivatin

    Amen!

     
  • At 5:21 PM, Blogger hope said…

    I think teachers' character influence for students'likes and dislikes too. What do you think about it?

     
  • At 8:46 PM, Anonymous clazirus said…

    well, you need to view it from perspective of student. let see, foreigners like to learn japanese language and culture mainly because of anime,manga and J-drama. this is true, because it is the biggest japanese export (legally and illegally) than culture and tourism.

    so, you see, student (mostly) goes to school to meet friend, discuss the latest thing and etc. Its hard to find student that goes to school only for studying. Which i mean here, school is part of their life, for particular reason. In order to make them love english, why don't you relate it to their life. For example, they like manga. So, show them (or lend them) some English comics (with some translation). If they like music, why dont make them listen to popular english song, maybe classical rock or something. And so on and on..
    Ganbatte~! haha. ^__^

     

Post a Comment

<< Home